Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Growing up Bottle Babies-Nash and Maxine

Maxine is a Chestnut Agouti colored French Lop born 2/20/14 and Nash is a Fawn colored French Lop born 2/21/14 in a very big snow storm. He was one of ten babies an unfortunately, his moms milk never came in, by the time this was realized the babies  had started to slowly pass away. I took Nash and 2 of his siblings and I put them in the nest with my other moms 8 babies that were born the day before. Thankfully Nash survived but sadly, due to the lack of strength the others had, he was the only survivor of his litter. At 2.5 weeks old the other mom because very aggressive towards the babies and I found that her milk had also dried up which was the cause of her aggression, no milk for them but they kept nursing OUCH! I was then forced to take action. I started bottle feeding the little tykes and trying to get them healthy again. The odds for the 5 little orphans were not good but I was determined to try. Day after day passed of round the lock feedings for the "Fab Five" as I called them and they began to gain and grow. As they grew they became more and more full of life and naughty as a rabbit should be. When they were 4 weeks old I had to bring them with me to a rabbit show due to them being bottle fed. That morning in the hotel room, my travel buddy woke up to start getting ready and she saw a baby bunny dart across the floor. Oh no! They had managed to get out of their pen and loose into the hotel room! Trying not to wake the rest of us up, she used her flashlight on her phone to try and spot the little escapees. One over by the bathroom, One by the night stand, One by the pen, but wait? Where were number 4 and 5? Ah ha! There is number 4! peaking her little face out of her cowboy boot looking directly at her, how she got in there is beyond us! Ok, now where is number 5, Nash? Scanning the room she could not find him when all of a sudden there he was in the glow of the light sitting right next to the mini fridge just watching her capture all of his foster brothers and sisters. She walked over to him and he let her grab him and place him back in the pen with the others.

As they grew their personalities started to become even more pronounced. Nash was the little lover/booger of the group, Maxine was the character, Rocky was the mellow one, Zada loved to play with the cat and Dixie was a little more on the shy side but once she trusted you she was the friendliest little thing ever.

As they got older Zada, Rocky and Dixie all went to their new homes while Maxine and Nash stayed behind with me. I may have gotten a little bit attached to them all while bottle feeding them.

Nash and Maxine have since been fully potty trained, come when you call, snuggle like a teddy bear and have got the biggest personalities I have ever seen. They are always out with me and Nash is always following me around where Maxine would be content with me just cradling her 24/7. Those two little tykes who once had a very small chance of survival beat the odds and have surpassed everyone's expectations on size and just about everything else. Everywhere they go people notice the characters they are and are drawn to them. They just go to show that big things happen for little critters. They will both be featured in their own  children's book under the Milo & Me series. The fun never stops with these two and I hope they continue to bring joy to all of those who they meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment