Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Chance and Charm go home

It is always an overwhelming feeling getting up to feed something in the middle of the night and around the clock... but that feeling amplifies itself when that something can't wake you up and it could very well aspirate with nothing you can do to save it. Each time I take a baby bunny on in an attempt to save it, I face this potential risk but every moment of the experience no matter the outcome, is amazing. This year Chance came into my care as a little guy. We made it through some of the hardest moments and successfully weaned him. Now for the release right? Wrong...  His best chances of surviving in the wild after being taken at such a young age was to find another young one he could be released with... not so easy! As the weeks inched by I got a call about another little one who needed my care and I left at it. Sadly little charisma was far too weak to make it after all of my efforts... And I started to lose hope that I would ever find another one for him to be released with. When days later I got a call. A dog had caught one about the same age and injured it. There were no garuntees  she'd make it but it was worth a shot. With some TLC and antibiotics, she healed right up! and we were able to release them together only 4 weeks later! 
Chance and myself after a feeding early on 
 One last picture with the littles before they made their way home
 Their new home
 Chance and Charm just before their release
Chance and Charm on their way home to the wild

No comments:

Post a Comment